Ruardean Hill Baptist Chapel
Memorial Inscriptions Transcripts
Many thanks to May and John Brace who kindly photographed and transcribed the headstones and made them available for us all.
History of the Chapel
It was in the summer of 1852 that Joseph Mountjoy, a Cinderford butcher, came to preach under the firs on Ruardean Hill. A band of people soon grew and so the Chapel was built for £145 and opened on the 12th April 1854.
The first building proved too small and was enlarged to its present size in 1874. In 1868 there were 40 members.
Mountjoy remained as pastor until his death and was buried in the graveyard on Anniversary Sunday in 1879.