ALVINGTON is a village and parish, and polling place for the Western division of the county, situated on the western bank of the river Severn and the high road from Newnham to Chepstow, 9½ miles south-west from the former, 6½ miles north-east from the latter, and 2½ south west from Lydney, and 2 miles north from Woolastone station on the South Wales railway and 130 from London, in the hundred of Bledisloe, union and county court district of Chepstow, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeanery of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
The church of St. Andrew, an ancient building, restored in 1862, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and side chapel, with a square embattled tower containing 5 bells: it contains memorial windows to the Hon. W.M.Noel and the Hon. Mrs. Noel, and one to Robert Alvey Carwin, esq. Of Elston Hall, Nottinghamshire. The register dates from the year 1688. The living is a chapelry, annexed, together with that of Lancaut, to the rectory of Woolastone, joint yearly value £640, in the gift of Samuel Stephens Marling, esq. M.P. and held b the Rev. William Somerset, LL.D., of Magdalene College Cambridge.
About a mile and a half west of the village is Clannafalls, the seat of Col. Edward Andrew Noel, D.L. late captain 31st regiment, who is lord of the manor, and with Higford Burr, esq. the chief landowners.
The soil is gravelly; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,553 acres of land. And 500 of water; rateable value, £2,894 ; the population in 1871 was 408.
Parish Clerk, George Harris.
POST OFFICE – George Harris, receiver. Letters are received through Lydney, which is the nearest money order office.
There is a school for children of both sexes, built by Higford Burr, esq., and supported by subscription; Miss Clatworthy, mistress.
Fenton, Major, Clanna cottage
Noel, Col. Edward Andrew D.L., J.P., Clannafalls
White, Daniel Alfred
Woodroffe John, Severn Bridge
Bradford, John, farmer, Alvington crt
Edwards, John carpenter & grocer
Griffiths, Charles, farmer, Fernleze cot
Harris, George, mason & post office
Gloucestershire Paper Making Co. Limited, paper makers from wood only
(John McNiel, resident man.), Cone Mills
Harris, Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Howell, George, carrier
James, Thomas Henry, butcher, Woodmill
Lawrence, Edward, farmer
Lewis, George, carpenter & shopkeeper
Mullins, Isaac, farmer
Noble, Frank J. Papr. Ma. Rowley papr.mls
Richards, James, farmer & haulier, Colliers brook
Taylor & Co, brewers
Taylor, Thomas, farmer, Court end
Thorne, Wm. Beer retailer & blacksmith
White, Daniel Alfd., miller Alvington mill
Wintour, James, Globe Inn & farmer
Woodroffe, John, farmer, Severn lodge
Workman, Charles, shopkeeper & haulier