ARLINGHAM is a parish and village, 1 mile and a half east from Newnham station on the South Wales railway, but separated from it by the river Severn, across which is a ferry at high water, 13 miles south-west from Gloucester, 8 north-west from Stonehouse, and 103 from London, in the Western division of the county, Upper Berkeley hundred, Wheatenhurst union, Newnham county court district, Gloucester rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol diocese, situated on the navigable river Severn.
The church of St. Mary is a stone building in the Early English style: it has chancel, nave, porch, tower with 6 bells, and contains an organ: it was restored in 1868. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £270, with residence, in the gift of John Sayer, esq. who owns the rectorial tithes, and held by the Rev. Thomas Holmes Ravenhill, M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. There are charities of £40 yearly value; also the interest of £200 left by C. Vale esq. for an Infant school alternately with the towns of Warwick, Kenilworth, Stratford-on-Avon, and Wotton- under-Edge: Hodges Carter, esq. of Gloucester, left £200, the interest of which is given to persons not in receipt of parochial relief.
R.S.Holford, esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, and much land is in pasture. The area is 2.390 acres of land and 835 of water; rateable value £4,060; the population in 1871 was 697.
OVERTON is a hamlet, 1 mile and a half south-east.
Parish Clerk, John Ayland
POST OFFICE.—John Ayland, postmaster. Letters arrive from Stonehouse at 10.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Frampton-on-Severn.
The National school is endowed with £40 yearly, left by John Yates, esq.: John Cock, master; Elizabeth Cock, mistress. The infant school was built in 1869: Miss Emily Fisher, mistress.
CARRIER TO STROUD.—George Phillips, Friday, returning same day.
Campbell Capt. John, The REddings
Ravenhill Rev. Thomas Holmes, M.A. Vicarage
Ravenhill Rev. William Henry (curate), Vicarage
Sayer John, Slowwe house
Burcher Daniel, farmer Church farm
Butt Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Carter John, farmer, Puckpool farm
Greenway George, mason
Greenway James, mason
Greenway, Thomas, mason
Harper Charles, shopkeeper
Hayward Daniel, Red Lion
Hayward Robert, shopkeeper
Hayward Samuel, jun. New Inn
Hobbs William, blacksmith
Holder William, tailor
Jones Charles, beer retailer
Merrett Charles, farmer
Merrett Daniel, farmer
Merrett Henry, farmer, Wharf farm
Merrett Henry, jun. Farmer
Merrett James, farmer
Phillips Charles, barge owner
Phillips George, carrier & shopkeeper
Phipps Thomas, farmer
Turner Wm. Farmer, Slowwe farm
Vernon Eliza (Mrs.), & Hayward, farmers Lower Milton End farm
Vernon John, butcher & shopkeeper
Wathen John, carpenter
Withers George, farmer, Upper Milton End farm
Ballinger George, farmer
Browning Charles, farmer
Camm Charles, beer retailer
Davis John, farmer
Godsell Critchley, farmer, Wick farm
Hayward Joseph, farmer & beer retailer
Pitcher Daniel, farmer.