Awre

AWRE is a parish, village and station on the Great Western (South Wales) railway, 3 miles south-east from Newnham, 6 south from Westbury, 15 south from Gloucester and 120 from London, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Bledisloe, Westbury-on-Severn union, Newnham county court district, rural deanery of North Forest, Gloucester archdeaconry and Gloucester and Bristol diocese, situated on the west bank of the navigable river Severn.

The Great Western railway has a line for goods and mineral traffic from Awre to the Forest of Dean.

The church of St. Andrew is an old stone building in the Saxon style; it has chancel, nave, north aisle, with square tower containing 6 bells; it has recently been restored, principally through the munificence of Henry Crawshay, esq. who gave £2,200 towards the expenses. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Haberdashers' Company, who are likewise the owners of the great tithes, and held by the Rev. William Richard Savage, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.

There is a National school. The charities are of £16.10s. yearly value.

Oaklands Park, the seat of Henry Crawshay, esq. J.P. is a fine building of forest stone; it stands on an eminence from which some extensive views of the surrounding country can be obtained. The trustees of Sir Thomas Rich's and some other charities, commonly termed the Gloucester trustees, are lords of the manor. Part of the manor of Ruddle is in this parish. The chief landowners are the Crown, Mrs. Wait, the trustees of Sir Thomas Rich's charities, Russell James Kerr and H Crawshay, esqs.

The soil is sand and loam; subsoil, brick earth and limestone. The chief crops are wheat and roots. The area is 1,231 acres; rateable value, with Blakeney, £13,030 ; the population of the two parishes in 1871 was 1,345.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Cadogan.

POST OFFICE. – Thomas Cadogan, receiver. Letters through Newnham arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. Blakeney is the nearest money order office.
National School, Miss Elizabeth Bennett, mistress.
Railway Station, Thomas Henry Oakes, station master

Bolton Mrs. Hall field
Crawshay Henry J.P. Oaklands park
Jones, Mrs. Underdean larches
Savage Rev. Wm. Richd. M.A. Vicarage
Teasdale J.S. Kingsland house
Wait Mrs. New House
Awre Charles, Red Heart
Awre Hy. Farmer, Upper House farm
Dalby John, shopkeeper
Elborn Charles, farmer
Hartland John, farmer, Hall farm
Hooper William, farmer, Field house
Phelps Charles, farmer, Bray's court
Phelps Jas. Farmer & assistant overseer
Price William, shopkeeper
Smith John, master mariner
Turley William, smith
Willson James, miller, Awre mill