BEACHLEY is a hamlet and ecclesiastical parish formed in 1850 from the parish of Tidenham, from which it is 3½ miles south, and 7 south-east from Chepstow; it is situated on the extreme point of the peninsula formed by the rivers Severn and Wye, in the Western Division of the county, Chepstow union and county court district, South Forest rural deanery, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol diocese.
The Church of St. John, which was erected in 1833, is a plain, substantial edifice, built of Beachley stone, and consists of chancel, nave and aisles, with bell cot. The register dates from the year [ ]. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £70, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol and held by the Rev. Edward Green, B.A. of T.C.D.
The area is 325 acres; the population in 1871 was 132.
Letters are received through Chepstow, delivered at 8a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. and 9.30 a.m. on Sunday.
Infant School, Jane Farr, mistress
Green Rev. Edward, B.A. Vicarage
Jenkins Robt. Castle, J.P. Beachley ldge
Bidder Mary (Mrs.), coffee rooms
Farr Jane (Miss), schoolmistress
Miller David, salmon fishery lessee
Saunders Philip, Salmon Inn
Trayhern James, fisherman
Williams Thomas Peachey, farmer.