BLAISDON is a parish and village, 4 miles north-by-east from Newnham, 9 miles south-west from Gloucester, and about 2 miles north-west from Grange Court station on the South Wales Railway, and 114 from London, in the Western division of the county, Westbury hundred, Westbury-on-Severn union, Newnham county court district, rural deanery of North Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, situated in a pleasant and fertile district, abounding withThe village was entirely destroyed by fire in 1699.
The church of St. Michael, in the Mixed modern style, of Forest stone, with Bath stone dressings, consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle and embattled tower at the west end, which tower contains 5 musical bells, and is the only remaining portion of the old church: the interior is elegantly fitted up, and has sittings for nearly 300 persons; the pews and pulpit are of oak: the north aisle is supported by four pillars, the capitals of which are boldly carved: a handsome communion cloth and a Bible and prayer book were given by Mrs Crawshay of Oaklands Park, in this county, and a communion cup by Mr. Alderman Stafford, of Gloucester: the organ was presented by Mr. E. Boughton, late of that city, many members of whose family are interred in the churchyard: five crosses of different patterns surmount the nave, chancel and porch: the windows are filled with diamond panes of cathedral glass: the total cost of the restoration was “2,000 : the architect was Mr. F.R Kempson, of Hereford.
The church is supported by a monthly offertory. The register dates from the year 1635: many of the entries are exceedingly quaint. The living is a rectory, yearly value about £200, with residence and about 19 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Edwin Crawshay, esq. J.P. and held by the Rev. Basil Edwards, M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge.
The soil is clay and loam: subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and fruit.
Blaisdon Hall, the seat of Edwin Crawshay, esq. J.P. lord of the manor and chief landowner, is a handsome mansion, in the Elizabethan style, and commands some extensive views of the surrounding country.
The area is 900 acres ; rateable value, £1,949 15s. 8d. ; the population in 1871 was 241.
Sexton, William Hyett.
Letters received through Gloucester at 8 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 4.45 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Westbury.
Here is a National School, supported partly by Government grant & partly by donations;
Miss Bull mistress.
Crawshay Edwin, J.P. Blaisdon hall
Edwards Rev. Basil, M.A. Rectory
Herbert Samuel, The Mount
Bendall Edwin, Red Hart inn baker
Cole William, carpenter
Davis James, farmer, Brick house
Hart Thomas, farmer, Newhouse farm
Hyett William, Shopkeeper
Martin Charles, miller, Blaisdon mill
Phelps Mary (Mrs.), frmr. Stanley frm
Wilce Thomas, blacksmith.