BULLEY is a parish, 5 miles west from Gloucester, 11 miles south-east from Ross and 4½ south from Newent, situated on the high road from Monmouth to Hereford, which divides it from the parish of Churcham; it is in the Western division of the county, Duchy of Lancaster, Westbury-on-Severn union, Gloucester county court district, rural deanery of North Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
The church of St. Michael consists of a chancel and nave, with a small low spire at the west end; the chancel arch and south door are fair specimens of Saxon architecture: the main part of the building is in a dilapidated condition. The register dates from the year 1541. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Churcham vicarage, joint yearly value £386, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester and held by the Rev. George Charles Hall M.A. OF Magdalen College, Oxford. The great tithes (about £216 per annum) are paid to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
William Philip Price, esq. of Tibberton Court, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is a deep, red loamy clay; subsoil, principally marl. The elm and oak grow luxuriantly here and in the neighbourhood, and there are plentiful crops of grass, corn and fruit. The area is 951 acres; rateable value, £1,766 the population in 1871 was 199.
Parish Clerk, Joseph Gough.
POST OFFICE.—George Graham, receiver. Letters are received through Gloucester at 9.40 a.m.; dispatched at 4.50 p.m. Gloucester is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
National School (for Churcham & Bulley parishes), John Dickson, master
Daniels Walter, farmer, Bulley farm
Finch John, carpenter & wheelwright
Fisher William, shoe maker
Giles Thos. Farmer, Pigeon House farm
Gingell William, farmer
Haviland Arthur, tailor
Haviland Henry, farmer, Duncow farm
Palmer Benjamin, Colliers End farm
Parry George, farmer, Yew Tree farm
Randall Benjamin, Lake farm
Rea William, carpenter & wheelwright
Selwyn Daniel, farmer & cattle dealer, Prestbury farm
Stephens John, shoe maker
Tovey Wm. Farmer, Wood Green farm.