ELMORE is a parish and village 5 miles south-west from Gloucester, in the Eastern division of the county, Dudstone and King's Barton hundred, Gloucester union and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the navigable river Severn.
The Church of St. John is an old stone building in the Early English style; it has chancel, with chancel aisle, nave, south aisle and tower with 6 bells, some monuments, and stone slabs within the altar-rails, belonging to the Guise family. The church is about to be restored at a cost of nearly £1,500. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £63, derived from40 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir William Vernon Guise, bart. Of Elmore Court, and held by the Rev. Edward Sutton Dodd M.A. of St Catharine’s College, Cambridge.
£3 16s.8d derived from Cox’s charity, is distributed annually among the respectable poor of the parish.
Elmore Court, a notable mansion with grounds will laid out, is the seat of Lieut.-Col. Sir William Vernon Guise, bart, D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
The soil is part clay and partly alluvial; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, potatoes and pasturage; apples, pears and plums are also grown. The area is 1.486 acres; rateable value, £2,692 15s.; the population in 1871 was 373.
THE BACK (from the Anglo-Saxon Beck, a ferry) is a name given to a considerable part of the parish situated on the bank of the river Severn.
FARLEIGHS END, a tithing of Hardwick parish is near here.
Parish Clerk, James Hooper.
Letters received through Gloucester, by messenger at 9.15am.
WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Gloucester.
The National School was rebuilt in 1877; Miss Louisa M Cox, mistress
Dodd Rev. Edward Sutton, M.A. Vicarage
Guise LIeut.-Col. Sir Wm. Vernon, bart. D.L., J.P., F.L.S., F.G.S. Elmore Court
Guise Capt. William Francis George, D.L., H.P., Elmore Court
Arnold Thomas, farmer, The Back
Arnold Wm. Farmer & hay dealer, The Back
Bennett John, farmer, The Back
Camm John farmer, Weir farm
Greening Henry, Salmon, The Back
Greening Samuel, shopkeeper, The Back
Guilding Joseph, farmer, Elm farm
Hargrave John, farmer, Leighton’s farm
Harris Henry Smith, carpenter
Hill George, shopkeeper
Hill Thomas, farmer, Hollow farm
Houldey John, mason
James John, farmer, The Back
Meek Daniel, shopkeeper, The Back
Merrett William, blacksmith
Ryder William, fruit dealer
Vick Daniel, farmer, Elmore farm
Vick Mary (Miss), Stone Bench inn
Watts George, hay and fruit dealer