HASFIELD is a parish and village, 9 miles north-north-west from the railway station at Gloucester, 6 south-west from Tewkesbury, 10 miles west-north-west from Cheltenham, 8 north-east from Newent, in the Eastern division of the county, lower division of Westminster hundred, Tewkesbury union and county court district, rural deanery of Winchcomb northern Division, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester & Bristol, situated on the west bank of the navigable Severn, and in the vicinity of the turnpike road from Gloucester to Tewkesbury.
The church of St. Mary, which has been thoroughly restored, consists of a chancel, nave, north aisles, ancient porch, and substantial square embattled tower, having grotesque figures projecting from the sides for gargoyles or waterspouts; in the interior or this tower there are 4 bells; the north aisle, erected about 1850, was chiefly completed by the present rector, and the widow and relatives of Thomas Fulljames, esq. formerly of Hasfield Court: the eastern window of the north aisle, is very beautifully executed, and is in memory of Thomas Fulljames and family: In the chancel is a beautifully stained window, presented by the rector: the figures represent our Saviour in the centre with St. Peter and St. Paul on either side: inside the communion rails, on the north and south sides, are two windows, one to the memory of the wife, and the other to the only daughter of the late Ref. H.A.S. Atwood, of Ashleworth: there is another stained window in memory of William Miller esq. of Cheltenham; amongst other monuments is one to the Pauncefoot family, of great antiquity. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, yearly value £378, with handsome residence, in the gift of and held by the Rev James Sevier, M.A. of Christ’s College, Cambridge. £10 yearly is applied to educational purposes from a charity.
Hasfield Court, a handsome building of Bath Stone, the property of the trustees of W.M. Baker esq. (a minor), occupied by Mrs. Bourne Baker, stands on an eminence, and is pleasantly situated.
The trustees of W.M. Baker, esq. and the Rev James Servier, M.A. are the chief landed proprietors of this parish.
The soil is loamy clay; subsoil rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley and pasturage.
The area is 1,417 acres; rateable value, £3,687: the population is 1871 was 298.
Parish Clerk Henry Surman
PILLAR LETTER BOX.—Letters arrive through Gloucester at 10 a.m., dispatched at 4.15 p.m. The nearest money order offices are a Gloucester & Tewkesbury.
Day & Sunday school for boys and girls, conducted on the National System, built in the year 1851; Mrs M.A. Russell, Mistress.
Assistant Overseer, William Voice
CARRIERS.—Strawford, from Tirley to Gloucester, every Wednesday and Saturday returning same days.
Baker Mrs, Bourne, Hasfield court
Lillington Rev. Frederick M.A. [curate]
Sevier Rev. James, M.A. Rectory
Barnfield Jas. Shoe maker, The Beeches
Bartlett Joseph, blacksmith
Collins Wm. Carpenter, builder & beer retailer
Cross John, farmer
Davies Joseph, Farmer
Fowler John, farmer, Woodside
Harris Frank, shoe maker
Healing James, butcher & Shopkeeper
Lane Stephen, farmer, Hill farm
Lovell Philip, farmer, Wickeridge st.
Nicholls George, shopkeeper
Surman William, farmer, Great House
Taylor Ann (Mrs.), ladies school
Voice William, farmer, Wickeridge street