Highnam, Over and Linton
HIGHNAM. OVER and LINTON, formerly hamlets of CHURCHAM were formed in 1851 into the parish of HIGHNAM, in the eastern division of the county, in Dudstone lower hundred, Gloucester union and county court district, rural deanery of North Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol is 2 miles west from Gloucester.
The church of the Holy Innocents, is a splendid specimen of Early Decorated architecture consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, tower containing 3 bells and lofty spire and all the windows are stained; the whole erected at the sole cost of and endowed by Thomas Gambier Parry, esq of Highnam Court, who, with his own hand painted the frescoes, the chief of which are one over the chancel arch, representing the Last Judgement, that on the wall of the north aisle, the triumphant entry of Our Lord into Jerusalem, with the principal New Testament characters represented in the procession; on the first bay of the south side of the nave, The Expulsion from Paradise, and on corresponding bay, the Anunciation. The register dates from the year 1851.
The living is a vicarage, yearly value £126, with residence and 2 acres of Glebe, in the gift of Thomas Gambier Parry, esq. and held by the Rev. James George Tetley, M.A. of Magdalen College, Oxford.
Highnam Court, a noble mansion, surrounded by extensive park grounds well laid out, and studded with timber, is the seat of Thomas Gambier Parry, esq. D.L. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
The soil is clay; subsoil, principally clay.
The chief crops are wheat, beans, roots and pasturage. The area is 2.004 acres; rateable value £5, 252; the population in 1871 was 385 of which 247 are in Highnam proper.
OVER, which was a Roman Settlement, lies on the bank of the western channel of the Severn, and is connected with Gloucester by a bridge repaired at the expense of the county; the population in 1871 was 93.
LINTON contains one farmhouse and some cottages, 2 miles from Gloucester; the population in 1871 was 45.
POST OFFICE. – Henry Greening, receiver. Letters arrive from Gloucester about 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. Gloucester is the nearest money order office.
WALL LETTER BOX AT Over cleared at 6.45 p.m.
National School, Highnam (erected by T. Gambier-Parry,esq.), Alfred Bright, master
A mail coach passes through Highnam, from Ledbury to Gloucester every day at 10 a.m. &, on its return about 3.40a.m.
Several carriers pass along the high roads from Newent, Newnham and Ross through the parish.
Parry Thomas Gambier, M.E., J.P.,D.L. Highnam court
Tetley Rev. James Geo. M.A. Vicarage
Camm John, carpenter
Camm Lucy (Mrs.), straw hat and bonnet maker
Hawkins Martin, farmer
King Charles, farmer, Home farm
Newton Walter F. Organist
Nicholls James tailor
Phelps William, painter & glazier
Rea William, carpenter
Rudge James, shoe maker
Smallwood William, shopkeeper
Sowray John, land steward to Thomas Gambier Parry, esq
Ellis Daniel, shopkeeper
Haine George, farmer, Over farm
Owen Henry Ottrey, coach builder & wheelwright
Powell Philip, Dog
Priday Charles, miller, Over mill
Priday William, farmer.