HUNTLEY is a village and parish 7 miles north-north-east from Newnham, 7 west from Gloucester and 9 east-by-south from Ross, 3¼north from Grange Court, 2½ east from Longhope station on the Ross, Hereford and Gloucester railway and 112 from London, in the Western division of the county, duchy of Lancaster, union and hundred of Westbury-on-Severn, county court district of Gloucester, rural deanery of North Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The village is situated on the high road from Gloucester to Ross.
The church of St. John the Baptist was entirely rebuilt (except the tower, which has been surmounted by a spire of Painswick stone) at the sole expense of the late rector, The Rev D. Capper, from designs by S.S. Tenlon esq.; it consists of chancel, nave and north aisle, with vestry and tower containing 5 bells, a projection to the south forming a recess for the organ: it is built with red sandstone from the neighbourhood, with Painswick stone dressings: the interior is lined throughout with Painswick stone, interspersed with bands of red stone from the neighbourhood: the roofs of the nave and aisle are openwork, those of the chancel and organ are polygonal and panelled with mounded ribs: the fittings are of oak: the roofs are covered with Tetbury stone slate: there are sittings for 279 adults and 113 children. The register dates from 1663.
The living is a discharged rectory, yearly value £350, with 65 acres of glebe, in the fige of and held by the Rev. Henry Miles, M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge: an exchange with E. Probyn esq. of glebe house and lane was effected in 1865, and a rectory house built 1866, from designs b y Thomas Fulljames, esq. of Gloucester, by the present rector: it is a picturesque Elizabethan residence of red brick, with Bath stone dressings: the views from the grounds are extensive, the Cotswolds, Malvern and Forest Hills forming a fine background.
There are charities of about £27 yearly value.
Edmund Probyn, esq. D.L. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is red sand: subsoil, sandstone rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and much fruit. The acreage is 1,409; rateable value, £2,550; the population in 1871 was 516.
POST OFFICE.- Joseph White, receiver. Letters arrive from Gloucester at 8 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 4.45 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Longhope.
Here are handsome NATIONAL SCHOOLS erected by the present rector in 1875, at a cost of £2,000, William Humphreys, master: Mrs. Alice Humphreys, mistress.
CARRIERS TO GLOUCESTER.- Charles Dobbins, Charles Gardner, Henry Poole & Chas. Sterrey, every wed. & sat.
Miles Rev. Henry, M.A. Rectory
Probyn Edmd.D.L.,J.P. Huntley manor
White Rev. Thomas Pritchard, M.A. Court house
Ansell Joseph, saddler
Boughton Henry, farmer
Brown James, farmer, North end
Cadle John, butcher
Clissold Daniel, shoe maker
Dobbins Charles, carrier
Dobbs Martha Jane (Mrs.), Red Lion & farmer
Dobbs Samuel Priday, farmer & commission agent
Cardner Charles, carrier
Green James Joseph, grocer & draper
Harper Charles, blacksmith
Hart William, builder & shopkeeper
Hooper Elizabeth,(Mrs.), dress maker
Jones Isaac, fruiterer
Jordan Thomas, wheelwright
Marshall James, farmer
Marshall Robert, shoemaker
Partridge Thomas, farmer & mason
Phillips Richard, blacksmith
Poole Henry, machinist & carrier
Shewell John, castrator
Slocumb William, farmer
Stephens Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer
Sterrey Charles, carrier
Ware James Ware, farmer, Wood End farm
White Joseph, shopkeeper
Williams John, tailor