LANCAUT is a very small parish, pleasantly situated on the eastern bank of the Wye, which divides the county from Monmouthshire, 2 miles north-by-east from Chepstow, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Westbury, union and county court district of Chepstow, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
The church of St. James is a small ancient building, now in ruins. The register has always been with the register of Woolastone. The living is a chapelry, yearly value £39, annexed with that of Alvington to the rectory of Woolastone, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort and held by the Rev. William Somerset, LL.D of Magdalene College, Cambridge.
The principal landowner is T.H. MORGAN esq. who is lord of the manor.
The soil is light gravelly; subsoil, limestone, The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 183 acres; rateable value, £264; the population inn 1877 was 11.
Letters received through Chepstow, which is the nearest money order office.
Rymer Henry, farmer