LYDBROOK is a village and ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1852 from the parishes of English Bicknor, Newland, Ruardean and the townships of East and West Dean; it is pleasantly situated on the river Wye 7 miles south-west from Mitcheldean Road station on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester railway, 8 east from Monmouth, 4 north-by-east from Coleford and 8 north-west from Newnham, in the Western division of the county, hundred of St. Briavels, county court district of Newnham and Monmouth, rural deanery of South Forest archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the road from Coleford to Ross.
The church of The Holy Jesus is a stone building, having chancel, nave, aisles and a tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1852.
The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, in the alternate gift of the Crown and Queen's College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. Henry Thomas Hoitt, M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford.
There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists with schools attached; and the Baptists have (in 1868) built a commodious chapel, at a cost of £700.
Here are coal, iron, tin and chemical works.
The Crown is lord of the manor.
The principal landowners are Richard Thomas, Messrs. Russell Brothers and Co. Rev. Edward Machen, M.A. and Colonel Vaughan. The soil is light sandy; subsoil, clay, sandstone and limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots.
The population in 1861 was 1,776; and in 1871 it was 2,058
Parish Clerk, John Mathews
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank. – Tom Crisp, receiver. Letters are delivered from Ross at 7.40 a.m. and 12.25 pm; dispatched at 7 p.m.
Police Station, Jesse Clarke, sergeant
National School, Charles Thomas Bishop, master; Olivia Louise Churcher, mistress.
Fletcher Henry Studd
Hoitt Rev. Henry Thomas, M.A. [vicar]
Lewis Oliver, Waterloo house
Reeves Rev. Thomas [Baptist]
Russell Miss, Lydbrook house
Thomas Richard, The Poplars
Addis Frederick, mason
Bailey James, jun. Queen's Head inn Waters cross
Banks Robert, Anchor inn
Barber Joseph, grocer, Waterloo mill
Bennett John, haulier, Waters cross
Burgum Alfred, beer& wine retailer
Burdock Thomas, miller & shopkeeper, Waterloo mill
Cooper Arnold, accountant
Cowmeadow William, stone merchant
Crisp Tom, shopkeeper & sub-postmaster
Damsell George, grocer & corn merchant
Davies George, stone merchant & beer retailer
Davies John, Recruiting Sergeant inn
Flay John, manager for Lydbrook Store Company
Fletcher Henry Studd, surgeon
Gurney Mary Ann (Mrs.), grocer
Gwilliam John, beer retailer & carpenter
Haines Richard, mining agent
Hale William, haulier & shopkeeper
Harris James, boot & shoe manufacturer
Harris William, colliery manager for R Thomas
Houldey Charles, blacksmith
Jones Thomas, Sawyers' Arms
Jones William, beer retailer
Lerigo Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer & shopkeeper
Little Edwin, miller
Little William, New inn
Lusty Giles, shoe maker
Lydbrook Deep Level Colliery Co
Lydbrook Store Co. grocers & drapers
Magnue Richard, Shopkeeper & beer retailer
Mies Morgan, butcher & refreshment rooms
Morris James, boot & shoe manufacturer
Phelps Jas., shopkeeper & beer retailer
Roberts William, shoemaker
Robinson George, greengrocer & shopkeeper
Russell Brothers & Co. Iron manufacturers, Lydbrook Iron Works
Stephens Edward, Crown & Sceptre
Ward John, Bell
Weaver Charles, stone merchant
Tamplin Edward, grocer & draper
Thomas Richard & Co. Colliery proptrs
Thomas Samuel Marden, Lydbrook chemical works
Trigg George, farmer, Tibbs green
Whetshone Stephen, beer retailer, Vention lane
Wilce James, farmer, Waters Cross farm
Wysham Esaias, shopkpr. Waters cross