Lydney and Aylburton
LYDNEY with the Tithing of AYLBURTON
Lydney is a parish town and railway station: the parish is bounded on the east by the river Severn, which is here connected with the Wye by means of the Severn and Wye railway, which at Lydney forms a junction with the Great Western railway; the town is situated on the high road from Gloucester to Chepstow and Swansea. 9 miles north-east from Chepstow, 123 from London by road and 134 by rail and 20 south-west from Gloucester, in the Western division of the county, Bledisloe hundred, Chepstow union and county court district, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
The town is in the district of the Forest of Dean: about 500,000 tons of coal, iron ore, stone, timber, iron and tin plates are annually conveyed on the Severn and Wye railway, for the most part to the harbour at Lydney, and on to the Great Western railway system: the Lydney station on the Great Western railway (South Wales Division) lies about midway between the town and the port, 1 mile distant from either point. Lydney Creek, port of Gloucester is the term given to the harbour; the width of the outer harbour gates is 34 feet: and within vessels of 700 tons find berth.
Petty Sessions are held at the Sessions court every four weeks, or oftener, as occasions arise.
The church of St. Mary is a large structure, in the Early English style, having chancel, nave, and aisles, with a square tower (surmounted by a handsome spire) containing clock and a peal of 6 bells; it has been restored and re-pewed at considerable expense: a beautifully-carved stone pulpit and several handsome stained windows have been added: the large east window, filled with stained glass of gorgeous colouring, was placed by James Cookson, esq. in memory of his uncle Joseph Cookson, esq. late of Clifton: the floor of the chancel is laid with encaustic tiles of rich design, by Godwin: an organ was erected in 1869, at a cost of £280. The register dates from the year 1678.
The living is a vicarage, with the tithing of Aylburton annexed, yearly value £680, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, and held by the Rev. John Joseph Trollope, M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford, rural dean, prebendary of Hereford Cathedral and surrogate.
There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
A charity of £2 7s is distributed to the poor yearly.
Here is a Mechanics' Institute, which was established in 1843; it has a library and reading room, the latter supplied with newspapers and periodicals.
The vicinity of Lydney, forming part of the estate of Charles Bathurst esq. is rich in mineral produce, more especially in iron mines: they are now worked by Thomas & Co. Who have large tin plate works near the railway station.
Fairs are held on May 4th and November 8th, and a general wool and stock fair on 25th June.
Lydney is by some writers supposed to have been the Roman station "Abona" and there are certain evidences of its occupation by the Romans. In Lydney Park, where stands the mansion of Charles Bathurst, esq. J.P. are the remains of a Roman military station, where fragments of tessellate pavements and hypocausts, together with a large number of coins, broken pottery and implements of various kinds have been discovered: the station included also a temple, dedicated to a deity called Nodens or Nodons.
The mansion at Lydney Park, is a picturesque Elizabethan stone building, built in 1875 from the designs of C.H. Howell, esq. Architect, of Lancaster place, London; the park is 120 acres in extent.
Charles Bathurst, esq. who is lord of the manor, Mrs Edward Owen Jones and Thomas Breadstone Croome, esq. are chief landowners. The soil is various, in some places light sandy, and in others principally marl and clay, on the ironstone formation; sub soil, sandstone and ironstone. The stratifications in the neighbourhood of Lydney are the out-croppings of the Forest lower coal measures, after which are the sandstone rock, ironstone and partial formations of the new red sandstone.
The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and oats: steam machinery for ploughing and reaping has been in use for some years The area of the parish is 6,723 acres of land and 1,350 of water; rateable value, £18,094: the population in 1871 was, township, 2,692, parish 3,353
AYLBURTON is a tithing in the parish of Lydney, and lies on the high road, 1 mile south-by-west.
The church of St. Mary's was rebuilt in 1857, at the expense of the late Charles Bathurst, esq. except £25 given by the lessee of the great tithes. The hamlet of Aylburton has charities of £16 yearly value.
Near the church and in connection therewith, are situated the schools, erected in 1866 by subscriptions, aided by a government grant of £350: the buildings consist of three separate rooms for the pupils, and a residence for the master; they are spacious and handsome, built of Forest stone with Bath stone facings: the total cost was £2,000, and the ground they occupy was the gift of the late Rev. W.H. Bathurst, of Lydney Park. A schoolroom was erected in 1868, with a house for a mistress, the expense of which was defrayed by the late Rev. W.H. Bathurst, assisted by contributions from friends: the school is designed for young children only.
Lydney Church Schools, John Wild, master; Mrs. Tearle, mistress: Miss Badham, infants mistress.
The area is 1,506 A. 1R. 16P; gross estimated rental, £4,678; rateable value, £3,947; the population in 1871 was 661
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office.- Henry Imm, postmaster.
Letters from London & all parts arrive at 1.45 a.m. & are delivered at 7; dispatched at 9.40 p.m.; box closes at 9.15. Letters with an extra stamp affixed may be posted till 9.30 p.m.; letters with two extra stamps may be given to the guard on duty in the railway post office at 10.9 p.m. Day mail from London at 10.20 a.m.; second day mail from London at 5 p.m.; London letters can be posted 10.30 p.m. & with extra stamp 10.40 a.m.; dispatched to London 10.45 a.m. North mail arrives at 7 a.m.; letters delivered at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.45 p.m.; box closes at 6.30 p.m. and may be posted with an extra stamp till 6.40 p.m.; dispatched at 12 noon and 9.45 p.m. There is a first arrival of the mail from Coleford at 7.15 p.m. & 2nd arrival at 9.40 p.m.
POST OFFICE, Newerne.- John Rowe Smale, receiver. Letters are posted here till 6.45 p.m.
POST OFFICE, Aylburton.- William Hancock, receiver. Letters arrive fromLydney at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.40 p.m.
COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR LYDNEY PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION:-
Samuel Stephens Marling, Esq. M.P. Sedbury pk, Chepstow
Colonel Edward A. Noel, Clannafalls
Robert Castle Jenkins,esq. Beachley lodge
William Aeneas Seys, esq. Tutshill lodge
Keeling George Baker, esq. Severn house
Rev. Feilding Palmer, Eastcliffe
Charles Bathurst, esq. Lydney Park
Clerk, James Evans, esq. Chepstow
Petty Sessions are held at the new Police station every month. The following places are included in the Petty Sessional division:- Aylburton, Alvington, Woolastone, Tidenham and Hewelsfield.
Crown Life & Phoenix Fire, J Cholditch, Bank
London & Lancashire Life & Fire, G.J. Harris
Norwich Union Fire & Life, E Bromfield, Bank
Staffordshire Fire, T.A.H. Smith, Wye cottage
Stamp Office, George J Harris, distributor
Harbour office, Lydney lock, James Pick, harbour master
Inland Revenue Office, Feathers hotel, A Hegarty, division officer
County Police Station,
Gloucestershire Rifle Volunteers (12th), Captain A.H. Maule
Assistant Overseer & Collector of Assessed & Land Taxes, Charles Garland
Severn & Wye Railway & Canal Office, George Baker Keeling, secretary & general manager
Great Western Railway Station, T.E. Trickey, station master
Lydney Carrying Co. (Jones & Son), between Lydney & Bristol, takes in goods at the former place every Monday & leaves on Tuesday morning & takes in goods at the latter place on Thursday & leaves for Lydney on Friday morning.
Bristol & Forest of Dean Carrying Co.
Bathurst Charles J.P. Lydney park
Blackwell Charles, Newerne
Bromfield Edwin, Highfield cottage
Browne Rev. David George Lathom, B.A. [curate]
Cholditch John, Bank House
Courteen George, Newerne
Croome Daniel, jun.
Currie A.S., M.B.
Currie Andrew Stark, M.B. Oakfield vil
Gollop James, Moorlands
Goulton Wm. James, Highbury house
Hill William Yevily, Moorlands
Keeling Geo. Baker, J.P. Severn house
Keeling Geo William, Tuthill house
Lawrence, George, Lydney park
Lewis Mrs. Churchfield
Peters William, Tutnills
Portman Major Henry Wm. Berkeley, Red hill
Proudfoot Thomas, M.D.
Roughton Rev. Geo. Waters [Baptist]
Taylor Joseph, Raglan house
Taylor Walter, The Wards
Thomas S.J., Soilwell house
Trollope Rev. John Jsph. M.A. Vicarage
Westcott Mrs. Post Office buildings
Williams Thomas, Nass house
Wood William, High street
Arman Sarah (Mrs.), Rifleman's Arms
Bailey William, blacksmith, Newerne
Ballinger Henry, Carpenter
Barnard Samuel Fisher, Feathers Hotel
Bettington Mary (Miss), dress maker Newerne
Bettington Wm., Carpenter & Furniture dealer
Bevan Jane (Mrs.), dress maker
Birks Charles, Purton Passage hotel, and ferry, Purton
Birks George, True Heart
Bristol & Forest of Dean CARRYING Co. Limited (George Jackson, capt.), Lydney basin
Bromfield Edwin, accountant, Bank
Brown Charles John, White Horse inn, Newerne
Castle James, greengrocer, Newerne,
Chalk Mary (Miss) ladies boarding school, Althorpe House
Cholditch John, bank manager Bank
Claridge Geo. Watch maker High street,
Clark Benjamin, grocer, Newerne
Collins John, ironmonger, Newerne
Collins Sarah (Miss), dress maker
Cotton Richard, baker, draper & grocer
Courteen George, Maltster, Newerne
Craddock James, Haulier
Croome Daniel, jun. Solicitor
Curtis, Thomas, Red Lion inn
Davies John, engineer, Cookson ter
Davies Thomas, shoemaker
Davis Jsph. Shipwright, Lydney harbour
Denby John, farmer, Dairy farm
Dicks James, clothier, Newerne
Dowle George, grocer, Allaston meend
Dowle William, shopleeper, Newerne
Dykins Wm. Coal shipper, Cookson's ter
Edwards Thomas, band master
Edwards Thomas, farmer, Gurshill farm
Edwards Wm. Farmer, Guershill farm
Ensor Benjamin, shoemaker, Albert st.
Finch William, baker, Newerne
Fletcher Thomas, dairyman, Queen st
Freeman George, carpenter
Garland Charles, accountant & assistant overseer
Garton Charles & Co. Beer stores
Gloucestershire Banking Company (branch of) (John Cholditch, man.) ; draw on Union Bank of London
Gollop, Ridler & Co. Coal merchants & shippers
Glyde Wm. Farmer, Allaston Meend
Gosling Fras. boarding ho. Sandford ho
Grimes John, master mariner, Newerne
Gwilliam Thomas, printer, Newerne
Haddock Sedona, grocer, Newerne
Haile Elisha, farmer Purton manor
Harris George James, boot & shoe maker, stationer & news agent, & stamp office
Harris Hy. Grocer & coal mer. The Cross
Harrison Albert Wm. Farmer, Holmes frm
Harwood Geo. Jun. Gas manager, Gas ho.
Hathaway Frederick Henry, chemist & druggist, stationer, & agent for W.& A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants.
Hawkins John, grocer & post office, Lydney Basin
Hegarty Alexander, inland revenue officer
Henderson Matthew, greengrocer
Hewlett Thomas, farmer
Hill & Hathaway, drapers & grocers
Holder Samuel, maltster & hop merchant
Holford Geo. Coal mer. Cookson's ter
Holford Thomas, shopkeeper
Holford William, Moulders Arms
Howell James, mason
Howells Oliver, plumber, glazier & gasfitter
Hughes Wm. China dealer, The Cross
Hurle William Abercrombie, civil engineer Bath Place
Imm William, Postmaster
Jacobs Isaac, clothier, Newerne
James Mary (Mrs.), ironmonger, Newerne
Jones Edwin & Son, general merchants, Lydney basin
Jones William, shopkeeper, Churchfield
Jordan Charles, shoe maker
Keeling George Baker, secretary & general manager to the Severn & Wye Railway & Canal Company
Keeling George William, civil engineer, resident engineer to the Severn & Wye Railway & Can Co.
Knowles Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer
Lawrence George, land steward to Charles Bathurst, Lydney park
Lee William, farmer, Warren's farm
Leffler Aaron, watchmaker, High street
Long George, farmer, Duffield farm
Long William, farmer, Newerne
Lydney Trading & Carrying Co
Mallard William, Swan
Mechanics' Institute Charles Bathurst, patron; G B Keeling esq. President: E.Wintour, sec,)
Merrick Samuel, saddler & harness maker
Morgan Richard, shoe maker & butcher
Morse Edwin, grocer, Newerne
Nicholls Charles, blacksmith, Newerne
Nurse Albert, railway contractor
Park End Coal Co. (J.G.Sully, man)
Pearse Thomas, iron foundry
Perkins Henry, farmer, Hurst Farm
Phillips George, blacksmith
Pick Jas. Harbour master, Lydney lock
Pinnegar Richard, grocer, New street
Ponter William, temperance hotel, & quarry owner
Pope Alfred, tailor, Bath place
Powell Brothers, blacksmiths, Newerne
Powell John, shopkeeper
Proudfoot Thomas, physician
Pughesley William John, manager of chemical works
Reece Reece, coal shippers, Cookson's ter
Reichenbach Oscar, civil engineer, Severn & Wye offices
Ridler Emma (Mrs.), Railway Hotel
Remnant Richard, haulier & Bridge Inn
Ridler William coal shipper, Queen street
Roberts Thomas, beer retailer, plumber & glazier, Forest road
Sainsbury Thos. Jun., Farmer, Crump farm
Sainsbury, Thomas, Snr, Farmer, Rodley Manor farm
Sanders John, farmer, Ness
Sanders Thomas, farmer, Blackrock farm
Sandford James, beer retailer, Newerne
Saunders John, shopkeeper, Newerne
Severn & Wye Railway & Canal Office (George Baker Keeling, sec)
Smale John Rowe, grocer & draper
Smallwood William, shoe maker
Smith Edward, ironmonger
Smith Jas. Boot & shoe maker, Newerne
Smith Thos. Head gardener, Lydney Park
Smith Wm. Shopkeeper & baker, Newerne
Smith William James, butcher
Stephens & Co. Coal mer. Cookson's ter.
Stephens John, saddler Newerne
Taylor Walter, farmer, Wards
Thomas & Co. Tin plate works
Trotter Thos. & Co. Coal & stone proprtrs
Turner Hy. Chemist & druggist, Newerne
Watts Bros. Grocers & drapers, Newerne
Walker William, Queens Head inn
Watkins William, hair dresser, Newerne
Webb Mary (Mrs.), dress makers, Old Furnace
Weedon & Co. Coal mers. Lydney basin.
Wilkins Robert, beer retailer
Williams Fredk. Farmer, Allistone court
Williams Mary Rose (Mrs.), cooper, Newerne
Williams Thomas farmer, Nass Court farm, Nass house & Clift farm
Wintour George, butcher, Newerne
Wintour Richard, farmer
Wooles William, beer retailer, tiler & plasterer
Allaway Thomas W. Millend
Bowen Mrs. Sandford cottage
Cadman T. Kingstone house
Edwards Mrs. The Common
Edwards Rev. Samuel George, B.A. [curate] Old Park House
Gem George, Tankerhopes
Jones Edward, Tabor House
Tuckwell William John Stevens
Addis John, shoe maker
Birks Elizabeth (Mrs.), George inn
Cadman Thomas, inspector of mines
Clatworthy Mary (Miss), schoolmistress, Schoolhouse
Colwell Henry, cooper
English William, grocer
Garland Hnnh. (Mrs.), farmer, Lodge frm
Garland Thomas, farmer, Park farm
Garland William, farmer, Tump farm
Gem George, farmer, The Warren,
Gipson George, painter
Handcock Wm. Shoe maker & postmaster
Harris James, mason, The Common
Harris Thomas, mason, The Common
Harris William, mason, The Common
Hopkins John, farmer, The Common
Hoskins Robert, The Cross
Hoskins William, farmer
James Thomas, Travellers' Rest
Lucas Emanuel, farmer, Bream Lodge
Page George, farmer
Powell John Wm. Veterinary surgeon
Powell William, blacksmith
Robins Sarah Ann (Mrs.), grocer
Smith Thomas, gardener to Charles Bathurst, esq.
Toogood Henry, park keeper to Charles Bathurst, esq.
Tuckwell Wm. John Stevens, surgeon
Watkins William, shopkeeper & butcher
Williams Edward, farmer, The Common
Williams Philip, miller
Wood George, chimney sweeper