MAISEMORE is a village and parish 2 miles north-west from Gloucester, bounded on the east by the navigable river Severn and on the west by the Hereford and Gloucester canal, in the Eastern division of the county, Dudstone and King’s Barton hundred, Gloucester union and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. A branch of the river Severn is here crossed by a bridge of 2 arches, which was rebuilt on the restoration of peace after the siege of Gloucester.
The church of St. Giles is a stone building and consists of chancel and nave, with a handsome embattled tower at the west end containing 6 bells: the chancel was restored in 1844 by the then Bishop of Gloucester: the entire structure was restored in 1869, when a north aisle was added, the interior was fitted with low open seats and the gallery removed; the restoration cost about £1,500: a stained window has been placed in the north aisle; the subject is Our Lord’s Charge to St. Peter and was given by the parishioners in memory of the Rev. G Harmer, late vicar of the parish. The register dates from the year 1600.
The living is a vicarage, yearly value £120. With residence and 3 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and held by the Rev. Charles Edward Dighton, B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin.
There is a charity of £3 yearly, distributed in bread, and £2.10s for a sermon.
Maisemore Lodge, the seat of Mrs. Sevier, stands on an elevation commanding a fine prospect over the Severn.
The principal landowners are the Bishop of Gloucester, Mrs Sevier and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The soil varies with the situation: on the banks of the Severn it is a red loamy clay, but on the higher parts, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, beans, roots and barley.
The area is 1.930 acres; rateable value about £4.658; the population in 1871 was 484
OVERTON 1½ miles north-west, on the road from Gloucester to Ledbury, was a Roman settlement.
Parish Clerk, George Hooper.
POST OFFICE.—George Hooper, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Gloucester at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Gloucester.
A commodious school was built in 1859 for boys & girls with a residence for a schoolmistress.—Miss Ellen Forse, mistress
CARRIERS TO GLOUCESTER. Returning same day. – Vaughan, from Redmarley, mon. wed. & sat.; Bailey, from Pendock, mon. wed. & sat.; Davis, from Ashleworth & Hartpury, mon. wed. & sat.; Beale, from Eldersfield, sat. Phillips, from Staunton, mon. wed. & sat.; Strawford, from Hasfield, mon. wed. & sat.
Dighton Rev. Charles Edward, B.A., J.P. Vicarage
Jateman John, Spring Hill
Sevier, Mrs. Maismore lodge,
Taylor Rev. Charles Parbutt
Bishop James, beer retailer
Browning Walter, butcher
Clark Joseph, blacksmith
Coleman Henry, farmer, Tithe farm
Etheridge Chas. Carpenter & plough ma
Haviland George, tailor
Hooper George, shopkeeper, & post office
Morris Thomas, farmer, Court farm
Newman John, White Hart
Organ Charles Ship inn
Peters Wm. Beer retailer & farmer
Poole Jesse, blacksmith
Price Arthur, shoe maker
Stevens Chas., farmer, Bridgend farm
Stevens Joseph, coal merchant, and assistant overseer
Vallender Charles, tailor
Vallender George, farmer, North End farm
Wadley Michael farmer & overseer
Wadley William, farmer
White Edwin farmer & overseer, Overtn
Wicks William, carpenter