NEWNHAM is a parish, town, station on the Gloucester and South Wales railway, head of a county court district, and polling place for the Western division of the county, 114 miles by road from London, 11 south-west from Gloucester, 16 north-east from Chepstow, and 14 east of Monmouth, in Westbury hundred, Westbury-On-Severn Union, rural deanery of North Forest, Gloucester archdeaconry and Gloucester and Bristol diocese, beautifully situated on the western bank of the navigable river Severn, over which is a ferry at high and low water, and on the high road from Gloucester to Chepstow. 


Newnham was, many centuries ago, a borough town, and returned one member to Parliament; on petition to be exempted from this privilege, on account of the expense, it was excused.  King John presented to the corporation of Newnham, then under a bailiff, a sword of office, which is still in existence, and in perfect preservation excepting that the handle is now a wooden one.  Strongbow, Earl of Pembroke, about 1771, met Henry II here, whence the King and Earl set sail and landed near Waterford. 


The church of St. Peter, which stands on an eminence at the south end of the town, is an old stone building in the Pointed style, and consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, organ chamber and vestry, and a square embattled tower containing 6 bells: in the church is a very curious Anglo-Norman font, with carved figures of the Twelve Apostles: the church was entirely restored and enlarged in 1875; a south aisle was added, which is separated from the nave by four arches resting on pillars of polished granite with Bath stone capitals: the nave is divided from the chancel by a lofty moulded arch with polished granite shafts resting upon trusses and carved capitals: the tower was raised 30 feet and a campanile added: the restoration was carried out under the superintendence of Messrs. Waller of Gloucester, at a cost of £4,200: the east window is stained, representing our Lord as the Good Shepherd. The register dates from the year 1547. 


The living is a vicarage, yearly value £220, with residence, in the gift of Maurice Frederic Carter, esq. and held by the Rev. Edward Cowell Brice, B.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge.  There is a Congregational chapel.  The following sums have been bequeathed for the benefit of the poor, viz.:-John Matthews, gentleman, a native of Bath and an attorney of this town, £15 yearly; Samuel Hawkins, esq. of Leman street, London, £200 in Government securities: John Harvey Olney, esq. late of Cheltenham, £300 Three per Cents.: Mr James Jocham, late of Bristol, the annual sum of £1 11s. 6d. ; he also gave the interest of £1,000 towards the clothing of 15 poor boys yearly, and the remainder to poor lying-in women.  Here are charities to the value of £38 distributed to the poor. 


The Town Hall is a brick building, in which county courts are held, and the tax commissioners’ meetings at the Victoria Hotel: a clock tower has been erected here, consisting of a Bath stone shaft 4 feet 6 inches square, raised on a weather tabled base 6 feet square, and carries at a height of 30 feet a corbelled and battlemented erection, containing a clock by Benson; the whole is surmounted by a short stone spire with metal vane; the total height is 60 feet. 


Here is a branch of the Gloucestershire Banking Company, and a large tannery; and a considerable trade is carried on in bark, timber, slate and coal, at the wharfs, viz. Bullo Pill and Broad Oak.  A branch line of rail runs to the former, and mineral lines from the coal and iron mines in the Forest of Dean. Near the church is a long raised fossway, an ancient defence, now converted into an agreeable promenade. 


Fairs are held on the 11th of June and October 18th for cattle. 


The Haie, the residence of Russell James Kerr esq. J.P. is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Severn, and commands an extensive and panoramic view for some miles on the other side of the river. From here may be counted 32 churches, including the cathedral of Gloucester, the Cotswold and Stinchcomb hills may also be seen; the gardens are of great repute since the improvements made by the late and present proprietors, and are visited by numbers.  The manor is in the hands of the trustees of the late Tom Goold, esq.  A portion of the manor of Rodley, of which Sir William Vernon Guise, bart. is lord, is in this parish.  Russell James Kerr, esq. J.P. of the Haie, is chief landowner, and lord of the manor of Ruddle.  The area is 1,890 acres land, 215 of water; rateable value, £11,031 13s.; the population in 1871 was 1,483


Parish Clerk, Henry Vale.


POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office, John Henry Morse, postmaster.  Letters from London & all parts arrive at 1.30 & 9.40 a.m. & at 2.25 p.m.; dispatched at 7.15 & 9.40 p.m.  Box closes at 9.35, but letters can be posted till 9.40 with an extra stamp affixed.  North mail arrives at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m. Messengers are dispatched to Blakeney, Awre, Littledean, Cinderford, Flaxley & Popes Hill



Sir Thomas Hyde Crawley-Boevey, bart. Flaxley

Henry Crawshay, esq. Oaklands

Edwin Crawshay esq. Blaisdon

William Crawshay, esq. Riverdale

Russell James Kerr, esq. The Haie

Edmund Probyn, esq. D.L. Huntley

Maynard Willoughby Wemyss-Colchester, esq. The Wilderness

Clerk,  Maurice Frederic Carter

Petty Sessions are held at the Petty Sessional Court, Littledean every alternate Monday.  The following places are included in the Petty Sessional Division: - Abinghall, Awre, Blaisdon, Churcham, East Dean, Flaxley, Huntley, Littledean, Micheldean, Newnham, Ruardean & Westbury-on-Severn.



Clerk, Maurice Frederic Carter

Medical Officer, Francis Thomas Bond M.D.

Surveyor, John George Carefield

Inspector, John Harris

Collector, George Thorne



Norwich Union Fire & Life, W Barling

Provident Life, A.Parker; S.W. Woods, The Bank

Scottish Commercial, J.G. Carefield

Staffordshire Fire, S.W. Hadingham, The Bank

Sun Fire, W.E. Hall

Westminster & General Life, W.W.Ware



County Court, Town Hall, Charles Sumner, esq. judge; John Wakefield Burrup, registrar, John Davenport Barrett, high bailiff. Andrew Parker, clerk.  Court held monthly, on a Wednesday; the following parishes are in its jurisdiction, viz.:- Abinghall, Arlingham, Awre,  Blaisdon, East Dean, Flaxley, Littledean, Longhope, Micheldean, Newnham, & Westbury –on-Severn.

Town Hall, Charles Carlisle, hall keeper

Stamp Office & Inland Revenue Office, William Sidney Fryer, distributor

Police Station, Henry Swatton, sergeant



Clerk to the dean Forest Turnpike Trustees, Trustee of the Huntley Roads, Steward to the Verderers of Her Majesty’s Forest of Dean, & Steward to the Manor of Rodley, James Wintle

Steward to the Manor of Ashleworth A.H. Maule

Coroner for the Forest Division of the County of Gloucester, Clerk to the Justices of Newnham and Coleford & to the Guardians of the Westbury-on-Severn Union, Liberal Agent for West Gloucestershire & Clerk to the Commisioners of Taxes for Newnham & Coleford Division, Maurice F Carter.

Surveyor of Highways, John George Carefield

Superintendent Registrar, Maurice Frederic Carter

Registrar of Marriages for Westbury-on Severn District, Frederic Asgill Carter

Registrar of Births & Deaths for Newnam District, Edward Teague, Steam mill, East Dean

Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer (Westbury-on-Severn District) Edwin Mitchell

Assistant Overseer, John George Carefield

Town Crier & Bailiff to County Court, Thomas Clarke

Ferryman, Samuel Hayward

There is a National School in the Elizabethan style, built in 1867 & enlarged in 1875; Wm. Jones master; Mrs. Jones, mistress

Railway Station (Gloucester & South Wales). Thomas Harding, station master



Brice Rev. Edwd Cowell B.A. Vicarage

Carleton John Shaw

Carter Maurice Frederic [Captain 3rd Gloucestershire Artillery]

Collins John Stratford, Severn bank

Crawley Mrs. Belair

Crawshay William J.P., Riverdale

Gilbert Edwin Philip

Goold Mrs. Manor house

Holmes Miss

Kerr Russell James, J.P., The Haie

Maule Augustus Henry, Blythe court

Parker Andres, The Cliff

Shiles John, Bulls villa

Smith James Knight, The Beeches

Smith William Knight, The Beeches

Terrell Rev. Thomas Joseph, M.A. [curate]

Trotter Mrs

Ward William Walker, Underhill

Weight Rev. Thomas Joseph, M.A. [curate]

Wildey Mrs

Wintle James, Hill House



Bailey Charles, shopkeeper, coal merchant & railway agent

Baker Elizabeth (Mrs.), dress maker

Barling William Charles, farrier, blacksmith & farmer

Beard Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Beard James, boot & shoe maker

Birks Emma (Mrs.), Railway inn, & blacksmith, Bullo

Blanton Albert, stationer & toy dealer

Blanton John, Plumber & Glazier

Boucher Jsph. Railway waggon builder, Bullo Pill

Bowyer John, beer retailer

Brace Thomas, Tailor

Breen Louisa (Mrs.), Union inn

Burrup John Wakefield solicitor & registrar of county court

Camm William, tallow chandler

Carefield John George, agent to Watts & Co. Brewers & spirit merchants, Stroud, & assistant overseer.

Carleton John Shaw, Surgeon (firm, Collins & Carleton)

Carter Maurice Frederic, solicitor, commissioner for taking acknowledgments of married women & for taking affidavits & superintendent registrar

Charles Josiah, beer retailer

Clifford Elizabeth (Miss), rope maker

Collins & Carleton, surgeons

Collins John Stratford  (firm Collins & Carleton), surgeon & medical officer to district No. 2 of Westbury Union.

Crocker Elizh. (Mrs.),shopkeeper, Bullo pill

Dee Tom, beer retailer

Elton, Elijah, boot & shoe maker

Evans William, coal agent

Fryer Wm. Sidney, bookseller & stationer

Gas Light & Coke Co, (John Hankins Morse, sec)

Gilbert Edwin Philip, solicitor (firm, Gould & Gilbert)

Gloucestershire Banking Co. (branch of) (Samuel Wilkinson Woods, man[ager]); draw on Union Bank of London

Gould & Gilbert, solicitors

Great Western Coal Consumers’ Co Limited, colliery proprtrs.  (Stephen Wallace Hardingham, sec.)

Green Joseph, beer retailer & shoe ma

Hardeman Bros., who. Chemists & drggsts

Harris John, carpenter.

Hayward Samuel, ferryman

Headdon William, baker, confectioner & farmer

Highmeadow Iron Co. Limited, iron masters  (Stephen Wallace Hardingham, sec.)

Hobbs Henry, Lower George

Hobbs Selina (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Hoyle John, coal agent

Hyett Thomas, farmer, Ruddle

Jones Fred.k beer retlr. & master mariner

Jones Joseph Chamberlain, hair dresser

Karn James, auctioneer, Severn Villa

King William Henry, Victoria hotel & posting house

Lane George, railway inspector

Leverton William, tailor

Long Edwin, shopkeeper & haulier

Mailes John, Ship inn, & butcher

Maule Augustus Henry, solicitor (firm, Wintle, Son & Maule)

Mayo Joseph, timber, bark & slate merchant, Broad Oak

Merrick Charles, carpenter

Morgan Sarah (Mrs.), teacher of music

Morgan William, shorthand writer & accountant

Morris John, grocer & draper, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants

Morse John Hankins, secretary to Newnham Gas Company

Palmer John, tailor

Parker Andrew, solicitor

Phillips John, painter, plumber & glazier

Philpotts James Richard, chemist & druggist

Playsted John, grocer & draper

Preece Henry, draper & ironmonger

Price Edwin, butcher

Probert Ambrose, mason

Rees Jane Ann (Mrs.), dress maker

Roberts William, tin plate worker

Robins Edwin, saddler

Shortman Samuel, baker & shopkeeper

Shortman Wm. Watch & clock maker

Simmons Ann (Mrs.), builder

Smith & Son, solicitors, The Beeches

Smith James Knight, solicitor  (firm, Smith & Son)

Smith William Knight, solicitor (firm, Smith & Son)

Smithyman William Kendrick & Co., wholesale & retail wine & spirit mers

Thomas Allen, coach builder

Ware & Shiles, tanners & bark & timber merchants, Underhill

Weaving George, Upper George

Wellington Henry, leather seller & boot & shoe maker

Wintle, Son & Maule, colicitors, commissioners for taking acknowledgements of married women, & for affi-davits, clerks to Dean Forest turn-pike trust

Wintle James, solicitor (firm Wintle, Son & Maule)