NORTON formerly NORTUNE is a village and parish, 5 miles north-north-east from Gloucester, 7 west-by-north from Cheltenham and 7 south-by west from Tewkesbury, in the Eastern division of the county, Dudstone and King’s Barton hundred, Gloucester union and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the high road from Gloucester to Tewkesbury. The river Severn flows through the parish on the western side.
The church of St. Mary consists of a chancel, nave and embattled tower containing 6 bells; the church has been thoroughly restored at a cost of nearly £1,400, and was re-opened by the bishop of the diocese in 1876. The register dates from the year 1686.
The living is a vicarage, yearly value about £120, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol and held by the Rev. William Ferguson Steele, B.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. Here is a chapel for Wesleyans, situated on Norton Green. There is a charity of £4 yearly value connected with this parish.
Norton House with extensive grounds, the property of Charles B. Walker, esq. and residence of John Watts, esq. is situated here. Nathan Dyer, esq. of Breadon, who is lord of the manor of the eastern portion of the parish, and Charles B. Walker, esq. lord of the western part, are the chief landowners. The soil is a deep clay, in many parts mixed with round pebble stones, but produces good crops, and is equally applied to pasture, arable and meadow; subsoil, clay. The area is 1,870 acres; rateable value, £3,489; the population in 1871 was 430.
Parish Clerk William Loveridge
Letters from Gloucester arrive at 10 a.m.; Box is cleared at 5.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Gloucester
School Miss Elizabeth Bull, mistress
CARRIERS TO GLOUCESTER (passing through & returning same days)
Martin, from Tewkesbury, wed & sat
Clifford, from Apperley, sat
Steele Rev. Wm. Ferguson, B.A. Vicarage
Watts John, Norton House
Alecock John, farmer
Bailey Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Bainbridge Thomas, farmer
Ball Edwin, miller, Norton mill
Cook William, farmer, Ivy House farm
Green John farmer, Norton House farm
Healing Charles, carpenter
Healing William, carpenter & builder
Hobbs James, farmer
James William, chair manufacturer
James William, jun. Red Lion
Johnson William, farmer
Long Thomas, farmer, Norton court
Nash William, blacksmith
Newman John blacksmith
Peters Alfred, shoe maker
Peters Thomas, shoe maker
Simmons William, Kings Head
Townsend Henry, butcher
Warder Simon, cattle dealer
Weaver James William, farmer