PARKEND is a hamlet in the township of West Dean, Forest of Dean and parish of St. Paul, which was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1842; it is 4 miles north from Lydney station on the South Wales railway, 4 south-east from Coleford, 14 south-east from Ross, and 16 north-east from Chepstow, in the Western division of the county, hundred of St. Briavels, Monmouth county court district, archdeaconry of Gloucester, rural deanery of South Forest and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
The church of St. Paul, consecrated in 1822, is a handsome octagonal building of stone, having a tower with 1 bell, organ and gallery. The registers for baptisms and burials date from the year 1822, and that for marriages from 1836. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £150, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol and held by the Rev John Joseph Ebsworth, M.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford. There is a chapel for Baptists. A cemetery was consecrated here in 1862.
There is a mixed school for boys and girls, with residence, supported by an annual grant from the office of Woods and Forests and by voluntary contributions.
Here are Extensive iron, tin and coal works.
Whitemead Park is the seat of Sir James Campbell, bart. J.P. with an area of 42 acres.
The principle landowners are the Crown and Henry Crawshay esq. and the Park End Coal Company.
The soil is for the most part of a stiff clayey nature and the land is mostly used for the growth of timber. The area is 4,676; the population in 1871 was 3,814.
Parish Clerk Henry Gunter
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank,—Philip Jones, postmaster. Letters through Lydney, arrive at 8.50 a.m. & 12.25 p.m.; dispatched at 6.50 p.m.
Mixed School, Thomas Driffield, master; Mrs Driffield, mistress; Miss Julia Cole, assistant mistress in infants department.
Campbell Sir James, bart, J.P. Whitemead Park [deputy surveyor of Dean forest]
Curry John, M.D.
Ebsworth Rev. John Joseph, M.A. Vicarage
Thomas Sydney J Park End house
Blanch James Wintle, colliery manager, Oakland house
Boyce John, Speech House
Edwards Mary (Mrs.), British Lion
Frowen James, shopkeeper
Frowen William, boot & shoe maker
Haines James, blacksmith
Hathaway Henry, accountant
Hughes, Jas. Timber merchant & saw mls
James Isaac, colliery manager
Jeffries Stafford, boot & shoe maker
Jones John, butcher
Jones Philip, grocer, draper, general merchant & postmaster
Jones Richard, New inn
Jones Solomon, colliery & iron mines manager
Liddington Thomas, shopkeeper
Nash William & Co. Grocers & drapers
Morse John, haulier & glass bottle scruff maker
Park End Coal Co. Limited (Sydney J Thomas, manager)
Park End Iron Works Henry Crawshay & Sons, proprietors; John White, sec.
Payne Edwin R, Stone saw mills
Powell Melson, beer retailer
Rees Brothers, machinists
Rees Alfred, quarry proprietor
Scott Richard, Fountain inn
Smith Joseph, police sergeant
Thomas William, farmer, York Lodge
is 6 miles from Lydney station and 2 from Coleford—Letters through Coleford, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office
Blanch Thomas, carpenter
Brookes George, blacksmith
Carter John, George inn
Dibbin Henry, grocer
Powell Amos, Haulier
Titanic Steel & Iron Co. Forest works (not at work)
Wanklyn & Grindell, fire bricks & pottery ware makers, Dark Hill works
Western Counties Colliery Co. (George Oldland, proprietor)
Whitecroft, 3 miles north from Lydney station and 5 from Coleford, is situated in the vale betwixt rising ground covered with fine plantations of timber; the inhabitants, whose dwellings are scattered here and there in singular irregularity, are mainly employed in the coal, chemical and quarry trades.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.—Daniel Simms, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Lydney at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m.
Bendall John, haulier, Park hill
Hook Thomas, beer retailer
James William & Joseph, hauliers
Jones William, beer retailer
Jordan Charles, shoe maker
Kear Thomas, Miner’s Arms inn
Lewis Christiana (Mrs.), beer retailer & shopkeeper
Morgan Thomas, beer retailer
Morse Thomas, miller
Park Hill Mining Company (Solomon Jones, manager)
Phipps Henry, colliery proprieter, Pillowell colliery
Phipps James, beer retailer
Pughesley James, chemical works
Simms Daniel, grocer & post office
Thomas Henry, haulier
Wyatt John, grocer & draper