RUDFORD is a village and parish, 4½ miles north-west from Gloucester, 4½ south-east from Newent and 108½ from London, in the Western division of the county, Botloe hundred, Newent union and county court district, deanery of North Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the turnpike road leading to Newent from Gloucester. The river Leadon flows through the parish.
The church of St. Mary is a stone building, consisting of a chancel and nave, with an open turret at the west end containing 1 bell; the whole building is of Norman architecture, and contains several good circular-headed windows and doorway: the nave was restored in 1869-70 ; the chancel was restored at the sole expense of the late rector ; the cloth covering the communion table is dated 1616, and the cloth used to cover the elements at the administration of the sacrament is of fine damask, and marked with the needle, “Rudford, 1736”: at the time of repairing the chancel, and making a vault therein, a great number of human skeletons were found thrown in, in a promiscuous manner, with a quantity of lime; the hair on the scalps was found perfect: the chancel window is stained: the repairs of the nave were defrayed by subscription, chiefly contributed by Mrs. Price, of Tibberton, and the present rector. The register dates from the year 1729. The living is a rectory, the tithes of which are commuted for £332, with residence, and is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester and held by the Rev. Joseph Glover Evans M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. There is a charity producing about £5 a year, and one for Highleadon of the value of £1.
The Hereford and Gloucester canal is here crossed by three bridges.
W.P. Price esq. is lord of the manor of Rudford.
William P.Price esq. of Tibberton, and Edmund Edmonds, esq. of Newent, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, sand, stone and clay. The land in this parish is applied in about equal proportions to arable and pasture. Fruit of excellent quality for making cider and perry is grown here. The meadows on the banks of the Leadon are very fertile, producing excellent crops, and are subject to frequent inundations.
The area, including Highleadon hamlet, is 1,204 acres; rateable value of Rudford, £1,158, of Highleadon £1,318; and the population in 1871 was 244, of whom 103 are in Highleadon.
HIGHLEADON is a hamlet and township of this parish, but in the hundred of Dudstone and King’s Barton; it lies 5 miles north-west from the Cross at Gloucester. William Viner Ellis esq. is lord of the manor.
Letters received from Gloucester. Gloucester & Newent are the nearest money order offices. Letters for Highleadon, via Newent.
CONVEYANCE—A mail coach passes through Rudford from Ledbury to Gloucester every day, & returns.
CARRIERS TO GLOUCESTER (passing through Rudford & returning same day).—Addis, from Newent, daily; Billingham & Fluck, from Taynton, mon. wed. & sat; Davis, from Newent daily; Underwood, from Dymock, wed. & sat.
Bullock Edward, farmer, New house
Halford George, shopkeeper
Hardwick John, farmer, Coury farm
Jakeman Robert, farmer, Green farm
Brooke-Hunt Mrs. Whitfield
Evans Rev. Joseph Glover, M.A. Rectory
Chapman William Thomas, farmer
Colwell Richard, cooper
Humpidge William Edwin, farmer, Whitehall farm.
Jones Robert, tailor
Need Joseph, farmer, Saucumbs farm
Webb Ambrose, coal dealer