STAUNTON is a village and parish 3 miles south-east from Monmouth, 2 north-west from Coleford, 13 south from Ross, 10 north-west from Lydney station on the South Wales railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Saint Briavels, union and county court district of Monmouth, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, bounded on the west by the river Wye, which here divides the county from Monmouthshire.
The Church of All Saints is a stone building, having chancel, nave, aisles and a tower with six bells. The register dates from the year 1655. The living is a rectory, yearly value £155 with residence and 14 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. Edward Machen, B.A. of Exeter College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. John Senior. There are almshouses with an endowment of £32 yearly and £3 distributed to the poor in money.
The Crown is lord of the manor.
The principal landowners are the Crown, John Partridge esq. and John Bengough esq. The soil is variable, in some parts stiff and clayey and in others light and rather sandy; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats, but the greater part of the land of the parish is enclosed for the growth of timber.
The area is 1,517 acres; rateable value, £1,841 ; the population in 1871 was 179.
Parish Clerk Edward Barnett.
POST OFFICE.—Mrs Eliza Powell, receiver. Letters from Coleford are delivered at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Coleford.
National School, Miss Long, mistress
Clifford Rev. John M.A.
Francis George Edward
Enoch William, Fern Lea cottage
Phillips Sidney J. The Rectory
Senior Rev. John [rector]
Barnett Edwd. Carpenter & parish clerk
Carver Jas. White Horse, & blacksmith
Harris Samuel, farmer
Powell Eliza (Mrs.), shopkeeper & postmistress
Rosser William, farmer & cider retailer