TIBBERTON is a parish consisting of scattered dwellings 5 miles north-west from Gloucester, 4 north from the station on the South Wales railway, 3½ south-east from Newent and 109 from London: it is situated 1 mile off the Newent road, and is in the Western division of the county, duchy of Lancaster (but anciently in the hundred of Botloe), Newent union and county court district, North Forest rural deanery, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
The church of the Holy Trinity consists of chancel, nave, porch, with a tower at the west end, pointed and covered with tiles and containing 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £328, with residence and 6 acres of glebe attached, in the gift of and held by the Rev Honywood D’Obyns Yates Scott, B.A. OF Trinity College, Cambridge. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The charities are about £10 yearly value, and there are four almshouses, erected in 1868.
Meredith, the seat of Lady Wedderburn, is a modern brick building, and in a pleasant situation. Tibberton Court, the seat of William Philip Price, esq. D.L., J.P. is a large building, and is in the Italian style, pleasantly situated on an eminence, from which a fine view of the country is obtained.
The chief landowner is W.P. Price esq. D.L. who is also lord of the manor.
The soil is of deep loamy clay, and produces abundant crops of every kind of grass, corn and fruits for cider and perry; the subsoil is marl and rock. The area is 1,400 acres, the greater part of which is under tillage; rateable value, £3,055. The population in 1871 was 398.
Parish Clerk, George Stephens.
Letters through Gloucester arrive at 9 a.m. ; PILLAR BOX cleared at 5.10 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Newent.
British School (Boys & Girls), Enos Webb, master
CARRIERS.—Billingham & Fluck, from Taynton to Gloucester, pass through wed. & Sat. Returning same days
Price Capt. William Edwin, M.P., J.P., F.G.S. Tibberton court; Reform & Devonshire & Naval & Military clubs, London s.w.
Price William Philip, D.L.,J.P. Tibberton Court; & Brooks’s & Reform clubs London s.w.
Scott Rev. Honywood D’Obyns Yates B.A. [rector]
Teague William, Thornycroft villa
Wedderburn Sir David, bart. J.P., Meredith
Wedderburn Lady, Meredith
Baldwin Frederick, butcher
Baldwin Joseph, farmer & dealer
Butler Edwin, farmer, Palmer’s farm
Gough Henry, blacksmith
Loveridge Albert, farmer & miller, Morse’s farm
Loveridge John, farmer
Need Geo. Farmer, Wade’s End farm
Palmer Thomas, farmer, Griffin farm
Phelps Daniel, farmer
Smith Joseph, farmer, Bird’s End farm
Stephens Thomas, shopkeeper & baker
Teague Charles, builder
Teague John, shoe maker
Young Thomas, shopkeeper