Tirley

TIRLEYis a parish situated on the west bank of the River Severn, on the Worcestershire border, 9 miles north-east from Newent, 6 south-west from Tewkesbury, 9 north from Gloucester and 113 from London, in the Eastern division of the county, lower division of Deerhurst hundred, Tewkesbury union and county court district, rural deanery of North Winchcombe, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester & Bristol. 

 

The church of St. Matthew is an ancient stone building in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, porch and low embattled tower, with four pinnacles at the west end and containing 6 bells :  on one of the monuments in the chancel the name of G Hurdman is recorded, as being the grandson of Edward Hurdman first Mayor of Worcester.  The register dates from the year 1653.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £417, with good residence and 200 acres glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held by the Rev. Joseph Frederick Hone, M.A. of University College, Oxford.   Here is a Wesleyan chapel.  The charities are of £100 yearly value. 

 

The common lands were enclosed by virtue of an Act of Parliament passed in 1795.  The HAW hamlet is a member of this parish.  Vessels are freighted and discharged on the Severy banks at the Haw.  At this spot the river Severn was formerly crossed by a ferry boat, but now by a handsome iron girder bridge resting on stone piers, consisting of three arches, completed in September, 1825, at a cost of £24,348 18s 10d.;  this bridge connects the parish with Deerhurst.  The Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor and chief landowner.  The soil is clay of a light nature; subsoil gravel and clay.  The chief crops are wheat and barley, and there is much pasturage ground of excellent quality, a considerable portion of which is fertilised by the overflowing of the river Severn.  The area is 1,840 acres; rateable value, £3.893; and the population in 1871 was 517

 

Parish clerk,  Thomas Humphrey.

 

PILLAR LETTER BOX.—Letters arrive from Tewkesbury at 9.o a.m. ; dispatched thereto at 4.20 p.m. Tewkesbury is the nearest money order office

 

Assistant Overseer, William Bishop

 

National School (boys and girls) Miss Mary Smith, mistress

 

RESIDENTS

Brown The Misses

Hone Rev. Joseph Frederick, M.A. Vicarage

Marsden Mrs.

 

COMMERCIAL

Ball Chas. Boat owner, hay & Coal dealer

Ball William, hay & coal dealer

Banks Enoch, wheelwright, Knoll

Barnfield Frederick, farmer, The Flats

Baylis John, coal dealer, The Haw

Baylis Samuel, shopkeeper, The Haw

Baylis Saml. Jun. Coal dealer, The Haw

Baylis Wm. Farmer, Little Cumberwood

Brotheridge George, farmer, Great Cumberwood

Brotheridge Jsph. Farmer Gt. Sandpits

Bundy John, shoe maker, Knoll

Carter Joseph, carpenter & wheerwright

Chamberlain John, jun. Blacksmith & shopkeeper

Chamberlain Thos.  farmer & beer retlr.

Chamberlain William, shopkeeper

Clifton, Levi, shopkeeper

Dunn Samuel fisherman

Fowler Henry, farmer, Tirley court

Fuger Thomas, fisherman

Greening Wm. Henry, farmer, The Haw

Hartland Charles, boat owner

Hartland William, boat owner, hay & coal dealer, The Haw

Hopkins Thomas, farmer, Town street

Humphrey Thos. Private schl. Trinley cot

Niblett Minot,carrier by water, & coal merchant

Pitcher Timothy, farmer, The Hill

Ruck John, farmer, New Pool

Starling Thomas, carrier by water, & coal merchant

Strawford Henry, carrier

Strawford Thomas & Son, shoe makers & shopkeepers

Surman Henry, beer retailer, The Haw

Watts Caroline (Mrs.), farmer, Town st

White George, Haw Bridge inn

Whitmore Charles, builder