UPLEADON, anciently LEDENE, is a small parish and straggling village 2 miles north-east from Newent, 9 south-east from Ledbury, 9 south-west from Tewkesbury and 8 west-north-west from Gloucester, situated on the ancient road leading from Newent to Tewkesbury, and bounded on the east and north by the river Leadon, which here divides the county from Worcestershire, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Botloe, Newent union and county court district, rural deanery of North Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
The church, with an interesting Saxon arch, is small and consists of a chancel, nave and high half-timbered tower containing 2 bells: on the north side is an elegant Norman arch: it is now (1879) being restored under the direction of Ewan Christian, architect, at a cost of upwards of £500: the chancel contains a good stained window and there is a handsome tomb with brasses in the graveyard. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, with residence and 42 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol and held by the Rev. George Nicholas Gray Lawson, M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The rectorial tithes, value £364, which have been purchased by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners from the impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester and partly held by the vicar, value £203.
Richard H.Hodges, esq. is chief landowner and lord of the manor. The soil is a red loam, about a third of which is in pasture and meadow, situated on the banks of the Leadon, by which this parish is bounded on the east. The arable portion is planted with fruit trees of the choicest description, but at a sufficient distance from each other not to obstruct the growth of the crops; subsoil, clay and gravel. There were formerly considerable iron forges here, which have been converted into a flour mill. The area is 11,207 acres; rateable value, £2,281 the population in 1871 was 245.
Parish Clerk, George Niblett.
Letters from Gloucester via Newent, which is the nearest money order office.
National School (mixed), chiefly supported by voluntary rate & Government grant, Miss Helen Osgood, mistress
CARRIERS (passing through):-
Clint, from Corse to Gloucester, every Saturday, returning same day
Mrs. Charlotte Watkins, from Upleadon to Gloucester, every Saturday, returning same day
Lawson Rev. George Nicholas Gray, M.A. Vicarage
Boulter Moses, farmer, Eden’s hill
Broadstock John, blacksmith
Compton George, farmer
Compton William, jun. Farmer
Fewster Anthony, miller
Hart Ansell, carpenter & wheelwright
Hart Silas, farmer, Hay farm
Hartland Wm. Farmer, Upleadon court
James Gilbert, farmer, Middletown
Merrett Albert, blacksmith & wheelwright
Merrett William blacksmith & farmer
Watkins Joseph, shopkeeper
Whittle Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Wood William, basket maker