Viney Hill and Yorkley

VINEY HILLbut scantily populated, is 3 miles north-east from Park End and 1 mile from Blakeney.  Viney Hill was, with Yorkley, formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1866 from the townships of East & West Dean, in the Western division of the county, Monmouth union and county court district, South Forest deanery, Gloucester archdeaconry and Gloucester and Bristol diocese. 

 

All Saints’ church is of stone, consisting af chancel, nave and aisles, with bell cot and 2 bells and was consecrated in 1867.  The register dates from the year 1867.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £150, with residence, in the gift of Charles Bathurst, esq. of Lydney Park, and held by the Rev. Edward Samuel Smith, of St. Aidans. 

 

Much of the land belongs to the Crown.  The population in 1871 was 1,767.

 

POST OFFICE.—Mrs. Sarah Morse, receiver.  Letters through Newnham arrive at 8.30 a.m.  Blakeney is the nearest money order office.

 

SCHOOLS :-

There are two mixed schools for boys and girls in this district, with residences for teachers, one situated at Viney Hill and the other at Blakeney Woodside.  These schools are supported by an annual grant from the Office of Woods and Forests, and also by voluntary subscriptions.

National (All Saints), Arthur J Wood, schoolmaster

Infants’  (Woodside), Miss Phoebe Bailey, mistress

 

RESIDENTS

Smith Rev. Edward Samuel [vicar]. Vicarage

Davis Thomas, farmer

Morse Sarah (Mrs.), grocer

Shipton Thomas, farmer

Warren John, nailer

Wilce George, Albion

Willetts Isaac, beer retailer & shoe maker

 

YORKLEY, 4 miles north from Lydney station, and 5 south-east from Coleford, is a large hamlet, the swellings in which are scattered over rising ground, in some parts being very steep;  all the houses are detached and built in positions of grotesque irregularity;  the inhabitants are chiefly employed at the coal works in the neighbourhood. There are places of worship here for Primitive Methodists, Wesleyans, Baptists, and Bible Christian.

 

POST OFFICE.—Thomas Brown, receiver.  Letters arrive from Lydney at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. Whitecroft is the nearest money order office.

 

RESIDENTS

Beddington James, mason

Brain William, shopkeeper

Brown Thomas, tailor

Edwards William, haulier

Hatton John, Stag

James Alvin, shoe maker

James Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer

James James, carpenter & contractor

James John, farmer

Johnson Brothers, grocers & drapers

Johnson John, mason

Johnson William, wood cutter

Kear Emma (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Morgan Thomas, jun. Grocer & baker

Morse Arthur, carpenter & shopkeeper

Morse Isaac, haulier

Morse William, Nag’s Head

Parry Joseph, beer retailer

Phillips William, butcher

Phipps Samuel, mason & shopkeeper

Price Henry, shopkeeper

Price Josiah, baker & grocer

Powell George Prout, butcher

Sterry Jane (Mrs.), grocer & draper

Thomas Eliza (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Thorne George, shoe maker

Vicary William, beer retailer

Vimpany Edwd. Farmer, Yorkley court

Watkins William, shoe maker

Worgan Thomas, grocer & baker